Be Wise!

Be Wise!

Friday, October 19, 2007

Phone Etiquette Ghana Style

Phone etiquette, or the complete lack thereof, is a source of endless amusement (okay, in my worse moods, irritation).

This morning at 7:30 AM I woke to the ringing of my phone. I've been having a lot of trouble falling asleep lately, so I was "sleeping late" to 8 AM. When I groggily answered, I was greeted by a crabby Dean of social sciences from University of Ghana.

I have been emailing and calling this Professor since before I left, so for more than a month now. Yesterday I actually went out (hour trip) and stopped by his office. Left a message cause he wasnt there. Last night at 9PM we go out to an obrunyi bar for a pub quiz (Rob and Marta: we got our butts kicked. We need you two). We get back at 11:30 and Im exhausted so I fall asleep.

This morning my phone wakes me at 7:30. It's him. Not only that, but he's pissed because he's been "calling and calling" me. My phone shows 7 missed calls from him...all between the hours of 11 PM and 7:30 AM.

There is simply no division of professional and personal spheres here and it spills over in to what is appropriate in phone etiquette. People answer calls in important small meetings. People answer calls and talk during large forums of business people and the government. Even people on display at the head table. People you just met call at 6 AM just to say hello. If you don't call people or "flash" them (call and hang up before they answer so it registers as a missed call) regularly, they are irritated that you aren't thinking of them and don't love them. Important people get irritated if they can't reach you between the hours of 11:30 PM and 7:30 AM.

2 comments:

Marta said...

ah, yes, I can definitely relate to this. did you guys read this article that we posted on our blog?: http://robandmarta.blogspot.com/2007/09/pitiful-calls.html
Very interesting.

Also, not sure how I feel about Frankie's regulars - but I do know that Aaron would be terribly envious ;)

Rob Taylor said...

Marta learns the "Blogger cuts off weblinks" rule the hard way...

Just go to http://robandmarta.blogspot.com - it's on the main page. Plus that way you can see some wicked King Ayisoba videos.

p.s. Aaron almost won a Quiz Night on his own - you guys should be able to hold your own!