Be Wise!

Be Wise!

Thursday, September 20, 2007

We're Ghana Love It Here!

So we're homeless, my stomach's upset, and we're about to be soaked...

As Erin and I hide from the insta-monsoon that is presently keeping us trapped in "Palace" internet cafe, I decided I should start a new blog for our Ghana trip. Welcome to Be Wise, Don't Urinate Here! Named after my favorite phrase from the Accra Metropolitan Assembly, posted (or rather painted) on walls throughout the city, often with a picture of a guilty local hunched near the wall, or with an image of a local cop policing improper public pissing. If only the cop had a text bubble over his head: "Charlie, go for the gutter next time...go for the gutter." Like a good sociologist, I'll be sure to post a picture as evidence.

No housing yet. Auntie C, whose guest house is our typical haunt, is all booked up for the foreseeable future. We are working our other contacts, but no luck so far. We'll keep you up-to-date.

We're staying with our lovely friend Victor, who is kind enough to put us up at this beautiful house (hot showers, a/c, playstation 3 and all) until we a) find an apartment, or b) overstay our welcome. It is certainly a nice way to transition into "African Living." His mother (whose medical clinic is on the property) is a great cook, and has been feeding us Jollof rice...she'd better stop being nice to us or else she'll have two adopted children on her hands.

Most of the day my stomach has been upset - I blame myself. The first opportunity off the plane at Victor's place I brushed my teeth...using the water from the tap. I just wasn't thinking...there I was at this nice house! If I've done anything to risk Montezuma's wrath, that was it.

The weather has been cool for Ghana (low 80s) and breezy. Apparently all the rain we are having has cooled Accra down. Damn, I'll pay for an umbrella!

Internet at our favorite ex-pat, American diner style place has sped up since we were here in December. That is good news for us. Erin's computer has a camera, so we might be able to set up video chat for all of you folks with webcams. If not, we have skype accounts and can probably have a solid phone conversation with you over skype.

Ok, that is all for now. More updates down the road. Much love!
Terry

1 comment:

rebecca said...

I promise. I won't urinate. I don't do that kind of thing! Sheesh.

Hey good luck with housing. Oh ya, tell Erin to email the Rebecca whose email I gave her. Because she might know a place. She lived with some American refugee resettlement people who I think owned a house and were renting rooms in it.

Until then, jolof